Friday, January 29, 2010

Routine???

Ugh, so this week there has been absolutely no consistency in Brooklyn's day to day. One day she won't nap until 4:30, then we'll have a normal day of eating, awake time, and then nap time (just as baby wise recommends), and then she'll throw a curve ball and stay awake between two feedings and then nap the entire time between the next two! That's just a small example.

I would really like to get her on some sort of routine but I really don't think that's going to happen just yet, I need to just be patient right??

I must remember to be thankful for the fact that since the beginning she has pretty much been a great night sleeper, only waking me up once at night. Right now she seems to want to actually start her nighttime routine around 10:30pm. I would love for that to become and 8 or 9pm start but I'm not sure how to get her there. Maybe I need to make her stay awake at her early morning feeding, instead of letting her go back to sleep.

Any suggestions out there???

3 comments:

Lulu said...

These were my thoughts exactly when Bria was that age.
Keep with the baby wise thing, it works. But don't worry if you can't follow it exactly, babies kind of do their own thing.
One of my regrets is stressing about routine so much, especially early on. Just know that eventually a routine will come, but it's gonna take awhile. Also, her bedtime will get earlier and earlier so no worries there, it may take a few months but that is totally normal. I think Bria was 3 or 4 months before she started going down at 8 pm.
It sounds like you have a wonderful night time sleeper and that is AWESOME!
So happy for you guys!

The Pottorfs said...

all babies are SO different. Malakai still has no routine and pretty much does whatever he wants, luckily I planned to "go with the flow" from the beginning. It can be frustrating.
Just like Lindsey above said, don't stress about a routine. I've not heard of a single baby that young who fell into a routine, and if they do the surely won't stay! Although for your sake I hope she stays sleeping so well at night, we were up every hour last night!

The Pottorfs said...

oh yeah, swaddling was interesting. Kai hated it at first but once we figured out that the receiving blankets were too small for his long body it really was the best way to get him to go to sleep and stay asleep for longer. You may want to give it a try for naps if you need her to sleep longer. Aden + Anais swaddle blankets are AWESOME!
Not all babies struggle with being unswaddled, and actually we just had to stop "cold turkey" once he learned to roll from back to belly and he did just fine.